Sunday, February 20, 2011

Stand for Children

An election campaign enters its last days here in Ireland. I’d like to suggest that people consider the rights of children when they cast their vote. How will children fare after the election, if your preferred political party gets into office?

“Poverty is the root cause of many challenges facing children. The recession has compounded the difficulties for children already living in poverty. Their family incomes have been slashed by cuts to social welfare, increased taxes and increased family debt. At the same time, the public services many of them rely on for support in their education and development have been cut back. Some children have lost vital services that made all the difference to their learning and well-being while others are waiting longer for services already stretched to breaking point. Ireland’s most vulnerable children have paid enough for the mistakes of grown-ups; they must not be asked to shoulder any more burdens of recession. We must protect them as we try to rebuild our economy in the interest of protecting their childhoods and futures.” (The Barnardo’s Children’s Manifesto)

What can you do?

Barnardos are running a promotion that aims to put children’s rights at the centre of the political manifestos for this election. They’re offering people the chance to directly contact their local candidates to express their concern through a Facebook app. (Or, you can write to them directly yourself!) The link to the facebook app is http://on.fb.me/hihvhc

It’s worth checking out The Children’s Manifesto on their website, at the following link: http://bit.ly/g6E83S. The Barnardos website is http://www.barnardos.ie/

I’m going to think not only about my children, but about other, vulnerable children in Ireland when I cast my vote on Friday.

This is a charitable post. Barnardos contacted me asking if I would share this information with my readers, and I was only too delighted to do so. I received no payment for this posting.

2 comments:

  1. Children and their needs have not had a high profile in this election...and I would be very concerned that the (very important) focus on jobs and the economy will mean that services and benefits for children will continue to be whittled away x

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License